About the Job
The Business Manager will be a servant leader who is expected to have strong financial skills and experience but who wishes to expand her/his duties and activities to active management of areas which overlap with finance. This leader will oversee and optimize all financial control aspects of Cap-Haitien food processing plant, its agricultural and nutrition programs and its storage depot in Port au Prince. This includes, but is not limited to, effective management of MFK’s financial function in Haiti. This will include ensuring internal controls are in place, supervising the bookkeeper, financial planning and budgeting assistance to the Chief Finance Officer (CFO) in the United States (U.S.). The Business Manager will also oversee the Human Resources function, managing the Human Resource Manager, and will have oversight responsibility of several of the factory’s administrative functions. The position will report directly to the Chief Executive Officer, with significant input and oversight from the CFO. Under general direction from his/her superiors, the incumbent operates with autonomy and latitude in decision making within the constraints of existing MFK policies and procedures. This is a senior management team position. The following positions report directly to this role:
- HR manager
- Customer relations manager
- General Manager / Government relations and site infrastructure
- Financial Controls: Ensure that internal financial controls are in place, maintained and monitored which comply with MFK’s financial guidelines and minimizes the risk of fraud or misappropriation.
- Rewrite the Haiti financial controls document which guides the current controls in place.
- Ensure financial systems of the country program are operating in line with U.S. accounting standards and that they meet the monitoring and reporting requirements of the both the U.S. and Haitian auditing teams
- Ensure that there is a complete and accurate record of capital assets and that the assets are adequately safeguarded
- Review major purchases for actual need, falling within the budget, adequate bidding according to protocol, and conflicts of interest before approval for payment.
- Accepting, advancing and pursuing any new objectives or responsibilities that may be assigned by either the CEO or CFO
- Ensure that the global accounting package (QuickBooks) is maintained in a proper manner, and utilized in an appropriate and effective manner
- Capital Investments: Facilitate the analyses required for purchase of new production equipment and the cash flow; oversee that internal controls with respect to proper bidding requirements is sought.
- Other Financial Duties:
- Facilitate both internal and external audits and associated reviews
- Ensure that all statutory payroll deductions and payroll taxes with respect to national staff are complied with and liaise with relevant authorities in this respect
- Supervise the activities of the Haitian bookkeeper
- Participate with CFO in annual budgeting process and efforts to meet that budget
- Enterprise Resource Planning: Manage the continued implementation of ERP Next. This includes setting up new system modules, as needed, and providing training in it to key users.
- Oversee information technology at the factory.
- Customer Relations Management. This includes the oversight of client management, finished product invoicing and local correspondence, as well as the relationship-building with customs officials, adding nuance and sophistication to these communications; in collaboration with the Customer Relations Manager mentors communication with World Food Programme and UNICEF, as well as other major clients.
- Government Relations Management: Oversight of the work of the Government Relations Manager, improve submission date of documents needed to request a franchise with a target date of submission of December; monitor and improve relationships with Haitian Government.
- Human Resource Management: Ensure that the work of the Human Resource Manager is in accordance with the policies and procedures outlined in both Haitian Labor law as well as the MFK Employee manual.
- Supply Chain Management: Work cross-functionally with the Supply Chain and Logistics Manager. Every year MFK spends a huge amount of money on raw materials. The purchase of these materials should be as cost effective as possible, optimizing volume, timing and cost. This position will be expected to review and recommend improvements in the procurement practices of MFK.
- Other Administrative Duties:
- Ensure that that security of the factory is being closely monitored, both through oversight of the independent security firm and monitoring the closed-circuit security cameras placed throughout the factory and warehouses
- Oversee the General Manager – Government relations and site infrastructure.
- Four-year university Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or business management from an internationally recognized and accredited university.
- 3-4 years of management experience, preferably as an accountant in a manufacturing setting in the developing world; will also consider a general manager with financial management skills
- Experience in customer relations and human resource management a plus
- Experience living and working in Haiti strongly preferred.
- Fluent in English (must have) – written and verbal
- Fluent in French and/ or Haitian Creole
- Strong cost accounting and financial management skills for providing input into manufacturing schedules, budgets and reporting
- Strong leadership skills to set direction and keep multicultural, multi-functional teams reaching regional and global objectives. Ability to work effectively with resources in other parts of the world
Must be willing to live full-time in Cap-Haitien, Haiti.
- Competitive salary, commensurate with experience
- Health insurance and medical evacuation insurance
- Five weeks of paid vacation
- Housing in Cap-Haitien provided or housing allowance
- Annual round-trip ticket to country of residence